Sunday, February 21, 2010

NSB...BAM!...Revelations roll in.




Is this what Moses felt like when God turned him on to the Commandments?

I've only been seriously thinking about NSB for a day or so and already the revelations and relevance of my spending behavior is starting to become apparant.

I've already identified two major issues with my spending behavior.

1. I give myself permission to indulge in all sorts of minor purchases that serve no immediate need and end up being items I could have lived without. I forbid myself higher ticket items that are truly NEEDED under the pretense that I "shouldn't spend that much". In the end, I have a big ol' rather expensive pile of random $5, $10 and $20 stuff and still don't have anything to wear to the movies because I felt I shouldn't buy the repro jeans or repro coveralls I REALLY wanted and NEEDED because I shouldn't spend $50.

NSB Commandment #1:
THOU SHALT PONDER LONG TERM USEFULLNESS AND SATISFACTION OF THY PURCHASES


2. My spending behavior may also have some connection to self worth and where I put myself in my own life. I find that I'm willing to splurge on those I love while ignoring my own immediate needs. I could literally have holes in the soles of my shoes and spend my last nickel on my family or pets. Not that I shouldn't be generous, just that I shouldn't be generous to my own detriment. So, I do have to wonder if this spending behavior is somehow connected to esteem. Why am I not a priority in my own life? Why would I feel guilty putting a $25 limit on a gift and saving the remainder of my discretionary income for something I need or truly want? I have relatives that don't have a problem with this! Why do I?

NSB Commandment #2:
THOU SHALT STRIVE FOR BALANCE BETWEEN PRESSING PERSONAL NEEDS AND/OR LONG TERM GOALS AND GENEROSITY TOWARD OTHERS.


*As a complete aside, Passover and Easter are coming and that means somewhere soon Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments will be playing. My Gram used to make us watch it every year! I still honor the tradition with my own copy on DVD. The color is superb and those Egyptian get ups and accessories...yummy! Seriously, wouldn't you love to look like this and have hunky Charleton Heston or dreamy Yule Brenner (I like bald!) fighting over you? Um...oops!...perhaps that isn't the point of the movie, but you vintage gals will understand, I'm sure! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment