Saturday, March 13, 2010

Get In The Drecipe!

Anybody remember Susan Powter of "Stop the Insanity" infomercial fame?


Her Black Bean Salad is one of my favorites, quick, easy, no culinary skills required dishes.

I dub this a "Get in the Drecipe"
Get it?...Dress-i-pee




Susan Powter's Black Bean Salad
1 16oz can black beans (or dried beans cooked and seasoned) *I rinse my canned beans
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped red onion (I leave out the onion)
1/4 cup picante sauce (I sub Newman's Own Garden Salsa which is one of the lowest sodium prepared salsas I can find on my supermarket shelf)
2 tablespoons no-oil Italian dressing (I use Non Fat Italian)

In it's original state:
Serves 4
Calories 140
Fat .5 gm
3% fat

Mix it all up in a container and store it in the fridge. That's it!

I've topped garden salads with it. I've used it cold inside a whole wheat tortilla with shredded lettuce and diced tomato to make a lunch time wrapper. I've heated it up and added a smidge of mexican cheese and set it up in flour tortillas for a hot dinner. I've even used up a couple left over chicken strips by chopping them up and adding it. Susan says you can even heat the original recipe and eat it like a chunky soup.

Tonight, I'm actually having black beans with chick peas and corn in a recipe my Mom nabbed from a TV show. It is soooo delish! I'll have her write it down and share it with you sometime.

If you have a fav Get In The Drecipe, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment